What is Minimally Invasive Oral Surgery:
Minimal invasive surgery is a kind of a surgery that assures a patient with the least possible damage to the tissues by the insertion of a surgical instrument.
Key Features of Minimally Invasive Surgery:
- Planning and execution: There is a feature known as virtual surgery that is too much in trend these days. The virtual surgery helps in reducing the actual surgery time as all the processes that have to be followed in the actual surgery are already practiced in the virtual surgery.
- Monitoring the use of anaesthesia: The right amount of usage of the anaesthesia helps in controlling the blood pressure during the surgery. MIS decreases the chances of transfusing blood in the patient during surgeries.This process is scientifically known as Hypotension.
- Minimum incisions: Facial gums were treated by making large cuts on the face which not even resulted in huge blood loss, but also pain after the surgery and also it restricted the supply of blood for some time after the surgery. Minimally invasive surgeries help in avoiding these issues.
- Quick surgeries: Lengthy surgical operations increases the loss of blood count, infection, and burning sensation that might arise after the operation. Less time taken in surgery avoids all such issues.
Areas where MIS can be Implemented:
This kind of surgery can be implemented in a lot of areas. Some of them are:
- Maxillofacial fractures.
- Craniofacial deformities.
- Diseases of salivary gland.
- Temporomandibular joint pathology.
- This surgery is beneficial when a cyst and a tumor begins to develop.
- Tooth implant.
Procedures that can be used in MIS:
There are certain procedures followed in MIS, they are:
- Endoscopic exposure and osteogenesis.
- Transoral laser resection of lesions.
- Flapless dental implant insertion.
Advantages of Minimally Invasive Surgeries:
- Minimally invasive surgeries tend to be more accurate: A virtual surgery performed before gives an idea about the procedures that are to be used and the procedures that are to be avoided.
- Safer: It avoids trauma to the structures of the gum as it provides with a direct visual of the nerves and the structure of gums.
- Quick recovery: Since, MIS involves the usage of minimal cuts and incisions, because of this, they heal quickly as compared to the conventional surgery.
Disadvantages of Minimally Invasive Surgeries:
- Challenging: Surgeons who have been practicing for a long time find Minimally Invasive Surgeries difficult to learn as they have to give up on their traditional techniques.
- Expensive: It involves the use of 3D telescopes, and a digital camera that are quite expensive.
- Taking a decision: Minimally Invasive Surgery needs right clinical decisions depending upon the knowledge of the surgery and carefully understanding its limitations.
- Limited service: It is undesirable to find an MIS in every centre due to limited equipment and also surgeons who have an experience with such kind of surgeries.
Risks associated with MIS:
Not every surgery is safe. There are certain risks that are associated with them. Some of the risks associated with MIS are:
- Nerve injury.
- Breathing disorders..
- Internal injury.
- Allergies that can be caused by prescribed medicines.
- Fibrous bands that may be created between the organs and the tissues which result in an injury.
Many people in Delray are facing issues related with gums. It is always important to discuss with your surgeon if you are planning to go for a Minimally Invasive Surgery. Tell your doctor if you are on a certain medication and also if you have had some medical issues in the past.
MIS needs a lot of planning but has been beneficial in most of the sectors.
Oral Surgeon Boca Raton : Delray Beach Dental Implants