People who are suffering from diabetes need no special diet. They simply need to bring modifications in their existing diet by including a wide range of healthy foods in their diet. Reduction of serving sizes can help them maintain or get a healthy weight. Fiber rich diet that is low in carbohydrates and saturated fats, salt and sugar is the ideal diet for them. There are several other things that need to be considered when planning for a diet for diabetic patient.
What should be the ideal diet comprise of?
- A healthy eating plan is advised by doctors to keep diabetes under control. For this, your diet should contain a lot of veggies, legumes (like lentils, chickpeas, low-salt kidney beans and baked beans).
- Include high-fiber carb foods like wholegrain bread, fruit and cereals, lean protein source and low fat dairy products. “Muscle Up Meals” is a renowned healthiest meals delivery services operating in Los Angeles. You will get healthy and customized meals options meant for diabetic people, bodybuilders, seniors diets, people who are on ketogenic diets or looking for weight reduction, etc.
- Lessen your intake of sugars, salty and unhealthy fat. By lowering the serving size of the meal can even assist in maintaining the right body weight. It will also allow better management of blood glucose in the body. It is advised to check with a dietitian who can help in developing a healthy diet plan that is appropriate for you.
Benefits of healthy eating in curing diabetes
There are several benefits of healthy eating in diabetes. Some of them are:
- Maintaining general good health
- Efficient management of blood glucose levels
- Achieve target blood fat levels
- Maintain a healthy bp and body weight
- Prevent or slow down the rate of development of complications in diabetes
What role does physical activity play in diabetes?
In addition to healthy eating, physical activity is equally important. You need to be very active. Reduce the time you spend sitting down at workplace, home or both. Whether you indulge in household chores or any cardio exercise, you should aim to do it for a minimum of thirty minutes. Your exercise has to be of moderate intensity for atleast five days a week. There are following benefits that it will provide you:
- lower blood glucose levels
- reduction of cholesterol
- maintaining safe blood pressure levels
- lower anxiety and stress levels
- enhance your self-esteem and mood
- improve your sleep quality
- increase bone and muscle strength
Resistance activity is again a great way to assist in diabetes control. You can do resistance type training for two days in a week. You can even join a gym and perform cardio and resistance training. Some of the things that you can perform in this training are:
- body weight exercises such as squats, push-ups, or lunges can be done at home
- use resistance bands and dumbbells to perform resistance activities at home
- do tasks that involve carrying, lifting, or digging
Diabetes can be well controlled with healthy eating. A combination of weight management and regular physical activity will make your efforts more effective. This information will definitely help in effective management of diabetes in a person.