Kishore Vaigyanik Protsahan Yojana commonly known as KPVY is a nationwide fellowship program funded by the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Government of India. This fellowship program was started in 1999 in order to encourage the students to portray their talents and aptitude in the areas of basic science, engineering and medicine. The fellowship is granted upto the pre-Ph.D. level. The fellowship program is administered by Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore.
The eligible students for the fellowship program are the 1st year students of B.Sc/B.Stat/B.Math./Int.M.Sc/M.S. in Mathematics, Physics, Chemistry and Biology having aptitude and skills for scientific research can apply. It has been divided into two categories such as Stream SA for class 11 students, SX for class 12 students and SB for B.Sc./B.S/B.Stat/B.Math./Int.M.Sc/M.S students.
The application process of the KVPY fellowship program can only be done online and there is no offline mode of application. The application generally starts in July of every year and ends by August. The application form can be downloaded from the official website. The following documents must be uploaded by the candidates along with the application form:
- Scanned copy of photograph and signature
- Copy of marks sheet/ certificate of the qualifying examination
- Caste certificate for SC/ST students
- Medical certificate for the PH candidates.
- The application fee of last year General/OBC category candidates was Rs. 1055. Till the year 2014 the fee was Rs. 500
- The fee for last year’s SC/ST/PH and Visually challenged students was Rs. 528. Till the year 2014 this category was exempted from the application fee.
- The candidates need to take the print out of the challan and pay at any of the SBI branch before the prescribed deadline.
Admit card: The admit card of the exam will be available to download form the official website generally in the month of October as the fellowship exam will be conducted in the month of November.
- SA/SX/SB (1st to 3rd year of B.Sc/B.S/B.Stat/b.Math./Integrated M.Sc./M.S):
- Rs 5000 of monthly fellowship
- 20,000 for annual contingency grant.
- SA/SX/SB(during M.Sc./4th to 5th years of Integrated M.Sc./M.S):
- 7000 of a monthly fellowship
- 28,000 of annual contingency grant.
- Summer program: The winners will get a chance to participate in the Summer Program for a week at the Indian Institute for Science Education and Research (IISER) – Kolkata, Pune, Mohali, Bhopal and Trivandrum.
- Other Privileges to the fellows: On production of the ID cards, the fellows will get an opportunity to access the National laboratories/universities who have decided to spread distinctive privileges like library, laboratory facilities etc.
- The first level of the selection process is done after the scrutiny of the application forms and those who meet the eligibility criteria.
- Then the students appear in the aptitude test and the shortlisted candidates are shortlisted for interview for the final stage of the selection procedure.
For More Information on KVPY keep visiting www.motachasma.com