New post Essential Bali travel tips: things to know Read More

How to Determine Appropriate Portion Sizes For Your Body

2 Mins read

Many people do not realize how many calories they consume every day and therefore assume they are eating the right amount of food. In reality, this could not be further from the truth. In order to lose weight, you must reduce your caloric intake below your caloric expenditure every day. Whether you’re hoping to eat healthier or shed a few pounds, the following advice will help you ensure proper portion control:

How to Determine Appropriate Portion Sizes For Your Body

Use the 80/20 Rule

To lead a healthier life, it’s important that you create a system that tracks your portion sizes. An easy way to cut down on food is by sticking with healthy choices 80% of the time, which means minimizing indulgences. Dietitians call this system following the 80/20 rule.

By cutting out unhealthy choices 80% of the time, you’ll keep yourself accountable and stick with healthier eating habits more often than not. The other 20% is reserved for treats and special occasions, also known as a “cheat day,” which many reserve for the weekend. Even if you don’t hit your goal every day, following 80/20 will put you on track toward long-term success.

Download an App

Keeping track of your caloric intake is another effective way to be aware of how much you’re eating. Studies show that dieters who write down everything they eat lose more weight than those who don’t keep tabs on what they consume. Working with a service like can help you to better monitor your meals. Whether you’re hoping to count calories or shed a few pounds in the next few weeks, the app will help you get started.

Don’t Feel the Need to Finish Everything

To maintain proper portion control, try your best to avoid overeating at all times. You’ll probably eat less if you don’t feel compelled to clean your plate and if you do a good job gauging your initial portions, there should be some space left over at mealtime. Likewise, avoid finishing everything you’re served at restaurants as they often dish out larger portions than necessary.

Eat Vegetables First

Some of America’s leading health experts say that you should always eat your vegetables before adding carbohydrates or protein to your plate. Do this by avoiding loading up on starch at every meal and making sure half of what you’re eating is fruits and vegetables first. This method will fill you up more quickly and keep blood sugar levels under control.

One of the biggest challenges in eating healthier is figuring out how much to eat, especially when you’re trying to cut back on calories while also increasing your intake of vitamins and nutrients. Use these four tips to help you eat more effectively and healthily as you slim down.

Related posts
Everything ElseHealth

Health Conditions That Qualify For Medical Cannabis

2 Mins read
Cannabis, or marijuana, is legal in many states to treat certain illnesses. Although many health conditions can qualify for medical cannabis, figuring…

4 Ways to Keep Your Skin Looking and Feeling Fresh

2 Mins read
Both men and women strive for healthy, clear skin. However, some people struggle to achieve it. Although getting beautiful skin seems like…

7 Tips to Keeping Your Family Happy and Healthy

3 Mins read
You love your family. You want them to be healthy, and you hope they are also happy. Fortunately, health can lead to…
Power your Day with

Useful articles only!