For all bodybuilding enthusiasts, Whey Protein is their best friend. Whey protein has become such a significant part of the health and fitness industry. But a lot of people just start having whey protein supplements without knowing what whey protein is made of, its advantages, and disadvantages. Read on to find out all this and much more.
What is Whey Protein?
Whey Protein Powder or any protein powder in fact is a dehydrated form and highly processed form of protein. This high quality protein is naturally found in milk products. For consumption, one needs to mix this powder in water or any other shake. The most important role in body building is for muscle building and increase the overall caloric intake.
Whey Protein is considered to be a ‘complete protein’ since it contains all 9 essential amino acids required by the body and is easy to digest as well. It also has low lactose content, so people who are lactose intolerant can also have it in moderate amounts. Wondering what’s the difference between milk and whey? Milk is made up of two proteins – casein and whey. Whey protein can be separated from casein in milk, or it can also be formed as a byproduct of cheese formation process.
For all those who cannot find time to rigorously follow a protein rich diet, whey supplements are the best alternative. There are 3 major types of Whey Proteins –
- Whey Protein Concentrate
- Whey Protein Isolate
- Whey Protein Hydrolsate
How is Whey Protein Made?
Understand how Whey Protein is made in these simple steps –
- The milk used for whey is derived from cows. It is made up of 3.5% protein, 4% fat, and 4.6% lactose.
- The milk obtained from cows which is unpasteurized, is cooled to around 4 degree C.
- It is then transported in refrigerated vans to the cheese making industry.
- The milk is pasteurized and cooled. At this stage, this milk contains 80% casein and 20% whey.
- Liquid is separated from the curds using enzymes. The casein is matured into various cheeses.
- Liquid whey is then filtered to remove fats, minerals, water, and lactose.
- Whey protein is micro-filtered to convert it into whey protein concentrate.
- The high protein liquid whey is spray dried into a powder.
- This concentrated version is packaged and sent to various warehouses to be formalized.
- Different flavoring is added to enhance taste.
- It is then made available for consumers to buy online or at stores.
- You buy your favorite variant and enjoy a healthy dose of whey protein supplements.
It is always best to ask your trainer as well as doctor before taking any kind of supplements. There are various advantages of whey proteins namely –
- Aids in Weight Loss
For a group of people who were given whey protein, it was noted that there was a loss in body fat and they showed greater preservation of lean muscle. Thus, it was concluded that whey proteins aids in weight loss.
- Lowers Cholesterol
In a research conducted it was concluded that when whey proteins were given to 70 overweight men and women for a period of 12 weeks, a significant reduction in their total cholesterol and LDL was noted as compared to those who had casein supplements.
- Anti-Cancer Properties
There have been various studies that indicate the use of whey protein concentrate in cancer treatment. It also helps maintain the overall health of cancer patients.
- Reduces Blood Pressure
Research shows that beverages supplemented with whey proteins help in considerably reducing blood pressure in patients with hypertension.
- Improves Cardiovascular Health
Heart health is crucial for overall health and well being. Keeping your heart healthy through regular exercise and healthy eating is the best. People who consume whey protein supplements are at a lower risk of developing heart diseases or strokes.
If you’re someone who is allergic to milk or milk products, then it is recommended that you steer away from whey protein supplements. When taken in moderate doses, they do not cause any harm. But taking these supplements regularly over a long period of time can lead to some side effects like –
- Reduced appetite
- Stomach pain
The market is full of whey variants. Research well, read reviews, and ask your trainer about the Best Whey Protein Supplement. You can easily buy whey protein powder online.