How well do you control your eating habits? Research shows that more than 60% of Americans today would like to loose at least 20 pounds. One of The biggest obstacles of loosing weight is controlling your eating habits. Here are a few healthy food secrets to aid your eating habits.
- Set a plan: rather than eating when hungry, plan snacks and meals throughout the day. This will help surppress unconscious overeating.
- Do not skip meals: instead of waiting until you’re starved to eat which then results in overeating, eat 3 responsibly sized meals and 2-3 snacks per day.
- Shopping smart: Along side planning your meals throughout the day, you should always make a list before going to the supermarket. Creating a list will increase your odds of avoiding junk foods and help you set a standard for healthy living.
- AVOID SHOPPING WHEN HUNGRY
- Variety: instead of eating a lot of one food, eat a lot of several different foods at meal and snack time. For example, when you make a bowl of cereal, add fresh fruit. When you make a sandwich, substitute chips with carrots and celery.
- Meal portions: Control the portion size of the food you bring into your home. For instance, don’t buy the super sized bag of chips, or the biggest tub of ice cream. In addition to portion control, refrain from eating directly out of the box, bag, or carton. It’s all about portion control.
- Eating slowly: It only takes 7 seconds for food to get from your mouth to your stomach. Yet it takes 20 minutes for your mind to register that you’re full. Eating quickly tricks your mind into thinking that you’re still hungry when your stomach is actually full.
- Eating out: If you know you’re going to eat out, plan on working out more that day, or eat less during mealtime prior to eating out. You can also eat a small healthy snack before going out. This will give your mind time to register that food thus causing you to eat less. If bread is served before the meal, just skip it or eat one slice.
Eating healthy is important at any age. However, I believe it becomes even more crucial to our overall health as we age. The Internet has a well of knowledge that is easily accessible and can provide you with some excellent health-related information. The downside to that is that there is so much that it can sometimes be hard to tell which information is good and which is bad. There are some great age management programs available that can help you along the way that may be worth looking into. However you go about eating right, just make sure it becomes apart of your every day lifestyle and you will be very happy with the results.