Situated at 68 Orange Street in the Gardens, Cape Town, lies the Labia Theatre, the oldest independent art-repertory cinema in the country. The Labia, originally an Italian Embassy ballroom, was opened by Princess Labia in May 1949 as a theatre for the staging of live performances.
For the past twenty-nine years, it has been operating as a cinema on the alternative circuit appealing mainly to the more discerning viewer who enjoys its quality product and the charm of its old-world ambience.The Labia consists of four screens, a 176 seater, a 67 seater, an intimate 66 seater and the recent addition of the MNET Screen 4. Adding to the old-world ambience, is a cosy coffee bar which offers a variety of home-made delicacies, and a glass of wine or beer which can be taken into the theatre.
Share this place: