The last major Victorian building to be erected in Cape Town, the foundations of the City Hall were laid at the end of the 19th Century and it opened in July 1905. Designed in an Italian renaissance style, its classical façade looks out over Darling Street and the Grand Parade, and the clock tower – modelled after Big Ben and built to scale – is visible for all over the city.
Built to commemorate Kind Edward VII and Queen Alexandra. The interior with its mosaic floors, marble staircase, stained glass windows and specially designed organ with 3165 pipes is a magnificent spectacle. In 1990 the outside stairs were used by Nelson Mandela to address the nation when he was released from prison, his first public appearance in 27 years.