Pink candy-striped walls set the tone for this third-generation marzipan shop. Founded by Paul Wald and his wife and master confectioner, Irmgard Radant, in 1947, the shop sits in its original Charlottenburg location. After emigrating from Prussian Königsberg to Berlin in 1939, Wald honed his craft, using a family recipe dating back to the turn of the 20th century.
Family photographs, awards and newspaper features line the confection shop walls, celebrating the art of marzipan. The royal treat is featured in glass vitrines and glimmers under its sugar coating. Tradition is king here, and the sweets do not veer. With no signs of animal or fruit shaped pieces, the shop’s signature piece is small teekonfekt. Less classic, but equally tasty is the marzipan-chocolate combination. Everything is made by hand and in-house, and during Easter and Christmas the shapes get a bit more playful (think, Easter eggs) and the store—impossibly busy.