For those looking for a fresh alternative to the bold East Side Gallery colors and scribbles, this Mitte street runs parallel to the large 200-meter chunk of the wall that split Germany between 1961 and 1989.
But Niederkirchnerstraße also plays a pivotal, if somewhat shady, role in 20th-century Germany. Formerly named Prinz-Albrecht Straße after the Prussian ruler, the road was once the location of the Gestapo and SS headquarters during WWII. Its name was changed to Niederkircherstraße in 1951 to honor Käthe Niederkirchner, an active leader in the Nazi-opposition. Today, the street is also home to the Martin-Gropius-Bau museum and the Abgeordnetenhaus.